Happy New Year, readers. With twelve bongs of Big Ben, the holiday season draws to an end. Well sort of, I still had a rare day of work today since New Year’s Day is a public holiday in the UK. It’s been a very disjointed few weeks, since I wasn’t able to take any annual leave over Christmas. So I was in work on the 27th, 28th and 31st, and things start to get back to ‘normal’ tomorrow. At least it’s only three days until another weekend.
It’s been a decidedly unfestive Christmas; really busy until the 19th December, then I was horribly ill until practically Christmas Eve. Two days later it’s all over and I’m back at work, my head is spinning. Never mind, I’m sure loads of people have it worse than me.
So what does New Year mean to me? Broken promises to myself, in the shape of New Year’s resolutions. So I’ve come up with another 10 hopefully achievable goals for 2013. Or you’d think so, several of these are rollovers from last year:
- Get into decent shape. No target weight, but just be happy with yourself when you look in the mirror (and not just your adorable face and half-decent arms).
- Finally finish all the Final Fantasy games, you lazy arse. What’s it been, 5 years?
- Get a new job or a promotion. Seriously, what are you doing? Try not to be scared of leaving your friends at work, maybe they’ll stick with you after you’ve gone.
- Get rid of that junk in your parents’ loft and any other tat you’ve got hanging around.
- Have a great holiday. God knows, you need one.
- Get serious with Japanese. Study more (do that damn Lang-8 blog too), listen to more J-pop, watch more anime etc. Do you want to live there or not?
- Keep up with the blog and don’t be too harsh on yourself. Don’t force it if you aren’t enjoying it, but try your best if you want to carry it on.
- Write up your top albums and songs of all time. You said you were going to do it last year, so pull your finger out.
- Start cooking properly, try new recipes, do some baking. Just get out of your culinary rut.
- Try to enjoy your leisure time instead of pissing it away. Don’t govern your life with to-do lists (I see the irony in raising this in a 10-point list). If you’re not enjoying yourself, what are you doing it all for?
Why do these lists make me feel a bit sad? I don’t know. But there you have it.
For you guys, I’ve got a few blog tasks to get done. I’ve got a few more sets of back catalogue write-ups (Tori Amos & Madonna) to transfer from their home on a messageboard, even though they need a bit of brushing up. I think I might go Pro so I can modify the look of this blog. I also want to make an index of all the posts I’ve done so far, so people can browse my reviews more easily.
Eurovision 2013 of course will be a bit feature on my blog landscape this year, and I’ll try my best to improve on last year’s massive upswing in traffic to make this blog bigger than ever. I just hope you guys enjoy it!
Finally, what did I say I’d get accomplished in 2012?
- Get my end away at least twice — Yes! Three people (separately) and way more than twice. A bit tacky to have this as a resolution in hindsight, but whatever. Maybe I’ve matured this year. (HA!)
- THIS year, 10 stone. Or if not, look good enough to not repulse yourself — Hmm, well the target weight was a bust, and as you can see from my 2013 resolutions, I’m being a little more realistic.
- Finish all the main Final Fantasy games — I’m very close to the end of FFIV (it’s just so dull now) so I need to make the last push), and I’ve just started off FFVI. 2013 will be the year!
- Get a different job (or kill my boss) — Oh just don’t even ASK
- Finally get rid of my junk in my parents’ loft – ahem…
- Have a great holiday — DONE, DONE and DONE. In fact, I had several great holiday, go me!
- Learn 400 Kanji – Utter fail. But I’ll work on it.
- Make at least 150 blog posts (bringing the total to 200+) – totally smashed this, I’m nearly up to 400 posts!
- Decide my top albums and songs of all time, finally – I decided to drag it out a little, doing reviews of the best albums (I think), so I need more time.
- Keep in better touch with people, particularly not missing birthdays – I think I managed this one pretty well, go me!
Well that wasn’t a great showing. 4/10. Heh, at least I’ve got room for improvement!
What are your resolutions?